Welcome to my new “Coaching Youth Sports” blog. This blog is being written for 2 reasons. I had been keeping a blog over on Weplay but decided to use WordPress to get more flexibility and options. I had a few good posts that you can refer to over there including on on “Winning” that I think is worth reading.
First, I’m addicted to coaching youth sports teams and want to document the experience so that I can continue to learn how to be a better coach. I’ve been spending my time coaching my 2 daughters (one is in 4th grade, the other in 6th grade) and have been really trying my best to take the focus off winning and to instill a love for sports in all my players.
Secondly, I’d like to put together a comprehensive set of links, tools and references for new coaches. The lack of training offered by local towns and leagues is appalling. We rely on each new coach to come in and develop their own practice plans and to act like real coaches but give them no guidance. Maybe your town has developed some good strategies to handle this.. if so, please contact me and let me know about them!
As a coach (and I think a good one), I hate to think that different kids are getting such different levels of quality within the same programs. It’s not right and not fair to those kids who get stuck with lousy coaches.
Enjoy and please do comment all you want!
Lastly, if you are interested in co-authoring this blog with me, please do contact me! I am really focused on girls sports, but it’s only because I don’t have a son to coach!
So they are documented, here are the rules of my blog:
- I get the final word but will do everything in my power to NEVER censor myself or your comments. That said, I reserve all rights to delete your comments if they are overly rude, insensitive and/or abusive.
- My comments in no way reflect the official position of my employers or the town/program I am coaching for.
- Everything on this blog is my opinion and my opinion alone.
- I will try to blog about coaching only but other stuff will come up every so often.
- I’ll try to respond to every single comment and/or email you leave for me.
- I will try to never identify any of my players by name, the programs by name or the parents by name. I’ll make up names and teams if I have to in order to protect identities.
Please do enjoy the blog!